An abridged version for those who don’t want to wade through the chatty one below:
1. Read the book. All of it.
2. Be honest. Say what you think and why.
3. Do not hide behind vagueness and cliche.
4. Resist the temptation to be mean just because you can.
5. Remember that the author is a human being who (we hope) put a lot into this book.
6. Be entertaining. Dullness is unforgivable.
7. Don’t spoil the surprise.
8. Think twice before you accept an assignment.
9. Do not kid yourself that a review is the equal of a book. It’s not.
10. Read the book. All of it.
Rodney Welch says
Number 9 is the only one I find iffy.
Perhaps we can make an exception for your reviews.