I believe that a good editor respects a writer’s voice and vision—and works hard to bring out the best of both. As an editor, I specialize in serious nonfiction projects. I bring decades of experience as a professional writer and editor to every project I work on.
“Jennifer is a first-rate editor and researcher who brings a keen eye, perceptive pen, and the passion of a deep reader to book projects. She intuitively understands the editorial process, from conception and outlining to structural editing and line level revision. She combines organizational acumen with an artful ability to make complex nonfiction books cohere. Her years of experience as an accomplished researcher, fact checker, and copy editor are icing on the cake. I might add she’s a true pleasure to work with.”
—Stuart Roberts, Senior Editor, Simon & Schuster
What I do
- Developmental/substantive editing. I will help you shape a compelling argument, figure out the best structure for your manuscript or book proposal, cut a too-long manuscript down to size, and identify and suggest fixes for narrative gaps or other problems. I am happy to work with you at any stage of the research-and-writing process, depending on what you and your project need.
- Line editing. I will help you burnish your prose, make your narrative flow smoothly from point to point, and avoid grammatical and stylistic errors where possible.
- Fact-checking and quality control. I will help you prepare a polished, error-free, highly professional manuscript ready to submit to editors and publishers. My goal is make you and your book look your absolute best.
- Writing coaching. Feeling blocked or unproductive? I will help you create a plan to keep your project on track, talk through any structural or logistical problems holding you back, and give you constructive feedback and encouragement to get you to the finish line.
For smaller projects, I usually charge an hourly rate, which varies depending on what kind of work is involved. For bigger projects, I’ve found that a project fee often works best for everybody. The initial consultation is always free.
Current editing projects
- The American Experience by David M. Rubenstein, a collection of his interviews with major American historians, artists, and other public figures. (Forthcoming from Simon & Schuster in 2021.)